Weight Loss Question

MaggieL
on 12/12/15 8:01 am
WLS on 11/17/15

I'm 242.5 as of today.  It's day 25 and I've only lost 12.5 lbs and I'm following all the rules.  I keep reading others lose 20lbs-30lbs the first 3-4 weeks.  I'm very upset, and I'm afraid that this isn't going to work and I've done so much to my body.  Is so little initial weight loss usual?  Please share your initial weight loss experiences...  I'm just wondering what is normal.  Thanks!   

Debbie R.
on 12/12/15 9:30 am - Las Cruces, NM

You shouldn't compare yourself to others. I am 5 weeks out and have lost 17 pounds

Spencerella
on 12/12/15 9:41 am, edited 12/12/15 1:40 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Sometimes it takes awhile to really get rolling but we might be able to make some suggestions if you will tell us what a typical food and calorie day looks like.  Are you tracking those things?

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

SilverGirl2015
on 12/12/15 9:41 am

I got off to a slow start too.  Very discouraging, but now at 4 1/2 months out, the weight is dropping and I feel fantastic.  It helped for me to avoid the scale as much as possible, and focus less on the numbers and more on learining to create new habits.  Stay strong, and think positive - you've made a huge step in the right direction, now just follow the road ahead - In a couple of monthes you will see and feel a huge difference!  

happyteacher
on 12/12/15 10:22 am

Don't compare pounds, as there is simply way too much variation. Someone with 250 pounds will lose a larger number in the first month than someone who has 100 to lose. You are also in the three week stall range, so it may be sluggish for a bit- a very normal occurrance. I encourage you to measure yourself- typically if you do not see pounds coming off you do see inches. Hang in there- if you follow your plan it will work!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Dan1962
on 12/12/15 12:36 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

There are so many factors that go into the rate of weight loss.  The amount you lose pre-survey is a big factor.  The plan your surgeon puts you one is a big factor.  Ask yourself, when was the last tie you lost 12.5 pounds in 25 days?  You are doing great!

psychoticparrot
on 12/12/15 2:20 pm, edited 12/12/15 6:21 am

I didn't weigh myself after surgery until I was 2 months post-op. This is because I didn't have a scale. I was living in rentals in Pennsylvania and Florida during that time. 

At my husband's urging, I finally stepped onto a big old-fashioned scale set up in a Winn-Dixie grocery store, of all places. I was very pleased with my weight loss rate. It was more than some report at 2 months post-op and less than others. The thing I focused on is that my weight was dropping. The trend downward, not the velocity, is the thing to look for. My own opinion is that VSG patients should lock their scales in the closet for at least six weeks following surgery. So much is going on in your body as you recover from surgery that the number on the scale is doesn't really mean that much. You may be losing more fat than you realize.

However, congratulations on losing 12.5 pounds! Good start. Keep going!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

mpk2001
on 12/14/15 10:17 am

I feel the same way.  I am five weeks out this Wednesday and I haven't lost as much as others.  I know I shouldn't compare myself to others but it is difficult not to :( I guess all we can do is keep on doing what we are doing and it will show in the long run!

KansasPrincess
on 12/14/15 10:28 am - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

8 WEEKS POST OP DOWN 35 POUNDS. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT! JUST STAY THE TRAIL AND IT WILL COME OFF!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 77 views