Weird Taste in my mouth

LisaV_SG
on 12/11/16 7:54 pm
VSG on 12/01/16

Sorry I keep asking questions guys.. it's just sometimes I don't feel like calling the nutritionists because I feel like they get annoyed (which you may too? ) Anywho.. I can't get over this frikkin weird taste in my mouth. I feel like every since I've started phase 2 it's been happening. My mouth is just really dry a lot (but I do usually drink fluids often) and I just can't get over the taste. Wondering if anyone knows why? Should I try gum or is that not a good idea? Thanks in advanced 

Naomi S.
on 12/11/16 8:31 pm - Southwest Metro, MN
VSG on 06/03/16

I had an issue with a horrible taste in my mouth for over three months, saw four different doctors and went on SIX different prescriptions to try to get rid of it. I was constantly using gum or mints bc my mouth was so awful. The horrible taste was accompanied by a "sandy" feel on my tongue and raised taste buds. My PCP was prepared to send me to an oral surgeon for a biopsy to see what the issue was, but I asked her to hold off until I saw my dentist and give him a chance to diagnose me. 

After talking about what I'm eating (still mostly softer foods like eggs, yogurt, milk, cheese), he said that my taste buds aren't getting the exfoliation/stimulation that they are used to, and they've kind of "overgrown"  He suggested getting a tongue scraper and REALLY cleaning my tongue off, almost shaving the taste buds off  I got a stainless steel tongue scraper, and I've been going to town with that thing.  The horrible taste was gone virtually overnight, and my tastebuds are so much better.

If you're having the same issue, it was a very easy fix, and one I wish I had found sooner.  I was miserable for a long time while I was searching for the solution.  Good luck to you!

Naomi

missc_26
on 12/12/16 1:09 am
VSG on 10/03/16

Does it taste sort of metallic? If so it is likely your body has shifted to a state of ketosis which is a really normal part of the process. It happens when we take in less calories than our body needs but will eventually sort itself out. Just try to keep up the protein and the liquids as best you can. 

Also mint can sometimes make reflux worse so be mindful of that. I used strained parsley in ginger tea to neutralise the bad taste/smell but I'm sure there are othe options out there too.

Hope that helps.

hollykim
on 12/12/16 8:09 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 12, 2016 at 9:09 AM Pacific Time, missc_26 wrote:

Does it taste sort of metallic? If so it is likely your body has shifted to a state of ketosis which is a really normal part of the process. It happens when we take in less calories than our body needs but will eventually sort itself out. Just try to keep up the protein and the liquids as best you can. 

Also mint can sometimes make reflux worse so be mindful of that. I used strained parsley in ginger tea to neutralise the bad taste/smell but I'm sure there are othe options out there too.

Hope that helps.

ketosis doesn't come from taking in less calories. It is a result of eating a low carb diet.

missc_26
on 12/12/16 10:06 am
VSG on 10/03/16

Thanks for clarifying hollykim

califsleevin
on 12/12/16 9:13 pm - CA
On December 12, 2016 at 4:09 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:
On December 12, 2016 at 9:09 AM Pacific Time, missc_26 wrote:

Hope that helps.

ketosis doesn't come from taking in less calories. It is a result of eating a low carb diet.

Quite correct - that's why we can lose weight just fine without going "into ketosis". Caloric deficit will yield some ketones being produced from fat metabolism which can be detected by lab tests, but one doesn't need to take things to such extremes that these side effects show up in order to lose weight and burn the fat that we need to lose.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Donna L.
on 12/14/16 1:11 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Actually, ketosis also occurs in cases of caloric restriction, even when high carbohydrates are present.  It also occurs during sleep and breastfeeding regardless of diet.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

White Dove
on 12/12/16 3:36 am - Warren, OH

I use the tongue cleaner that came with my Waterpik.  It looks like a little spoon.  Most bad breath is caused by bacteria on the tongue.  A tongue scraper is an excellent tool to use.  You can also just brush your tongue with a soft toothbrush.

Unless you are staying under 20 carbs a day, you are probably not in dietary ketosis.  Also keep increasing your water so your mouth is not dry.  I carried a bottle with me constantly and keep it next to the bed for the first weeks after surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

rocky513
on 12/12/16 6:37 am - WI

The weird taste in your mouth could be from the anesthesia they used during surgery,  It takes a long time for it to work itself out of your system.  It leaves a metallic taste and can cause your mouth to become very dry.  Dry mouth=bad breath and yucky taste.  It will get better.  I had the same problem for several months after surgery.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

takingarisk3825
on 12/12/16 6:48 am

I had that too for a while. I would chew gum or try a mint. That helped me.

Most Active