vitamins

Chilipepper
on 9/23/14 6:42 am
On September 23, 2014 at 12:21 PM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

I wasn't aware that the ASMBS approves any particular brand of vitamins.  But the ASMBS recommends 200% of the RDA of things for RNY patients and four Bariatric Fusion only has 148% of vitamin A, 100% of vitamin E, 100% of riboflavin, 100% of niacin, 100% of B6, 100% of pantothenic acid, etc.  They also only have 1200 mg of calcium and more than half of that is carbonate, while the ASMBS says we need 1500 to 2000 mg calcium citrate.  If you read the label, it's easy to see they don't meet the ASMBS recommendations.

If the guidelines are met then they do. 

You are quoting old outdated information which is dangerous

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/23/14 9:40 am - OH

How do they "meet the guidelines" if they only have 100% of many things and the partially updated 2013 guidelines  still say 200% (2 multi's per day)?

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Chilipepper
on 9/23/14 6:39 am

Please see the new guidelines. You are incorrect

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

ladygodiva1228
on 9/24/14 1:48 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On September 23, 2014 at 1:39 PM Pacific Time, Chilipepper wrote:

Please see the new guidelines. You are incorrect

There are no new guidelines as of yet.

I just got off the phone with Susan at ASMBS and she stated that there is a sub-committee working on presenting updated information for an obesity conference that will be held in November.  She stated the most updated information regarding bariatric surgery was updated March 2013, but if you look through it there is no information about the vitamins.   http://asmbs.org/resources/clinical-practice-guidelines-for- the-perioperative-nutritional-metabolic-and-nonsurgical-supp ort-of-the-bariatric-surgery-patient

The only information on the ASMBS website that talks about vitamins is here.  http://asmbs.org/resources/integrated-health-nutritional-gui delines

So anyone *****commends looking at the ASMBS guidelines for vitamins is not giving outdated information as of yet. Since there isn't any new guidelines in place.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

poet_kelly
on 9/24/14 2:59 am - OH

Thank you SO MUCH for clearing this up for us!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/24/14 7:04 am - OH

Chilipepper
on 9/23/14 6:40 am
On September 23, 2014 at 11:24 AM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

Four of them don't have the proper amounts recommended by the ASMBS for RNY patients.  You'd need eight of them for that.

Yes they do please see use the correct guidelines

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/23/14 9:45 am - OH

Why don't YOU point us to the "new guidelines"???  You keep saying that Kelly is wrong and providing bad information, and that there are new guidelines and that she should look at them, but you haven't provided them in any form and you aren't saying specifically what you think is incorrect.

This is getting silly...  you cannot just keep continuing to say "you're wrong, you're wrong... quit using the old stuff and look at the new stuff" without saying specifically what is right and providing documentation people can look at!

The updated info from 2013 still says two multi's per day.  

Chilipepper
on 9/23/14 5:20 am

I just went went and checked.  The information you are pushing is from 2008. Things have changed and been updated.  

http://asmbs.org/resources/integrated-health-nutritional-guidelines

poet_kelly
on 9/23/14 5:25 am - OH

So the ASMBS no longer recommends 200% of the rda of things?  I've read the updated guidelines from 2013 and didn't see they'd changed it to 100% and less than 600 mg calcium citrate.  Can you post a link to those changes?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics