on 9/23/14 5:58 am
msladykris
on 9/23/14 6:31 am - Indianapolis, IN
DS on 03/25/15

You are feisty!

Chilipepper
on 9/23/14 6:35 am

I don't want you to get sick

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/23/14 7:38 am

She has a reason to be.  Recomending vutamins and quatiing outdated info is dangerous. Ie. With y oomuch vut D in a system, and too much calcium,  - if other elements that are needed are nit present (boron, magnesium, stronium, vt K2, etc etc...) our body can't incorporate the calcium into bones and may start putting the too much calcium it absorbs into joins, calcified arteries, or even in organs. 

Balancing the vitamins and minerals intake is a very fine art.  Recommending 200% of all of them is really not appropriate and rather dangerous.  

I.e. B6 is in most proteins, and in high % of supplemens. Even when i took just enough - somehow i git high almost toxic level in my blood work, and now i have to be supper careful not to get any. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/23/14 9:55 am - OH

I am all for people being given good, solid information AND being strongly encouraged to do their own research, know the potential for toxic vitamin levels, and openly discussing their labs and  supplementation with their physicians.  

I also agree that sometimes the issue of over supplementation (even if it doesn't quite rise to the level of toxicity) is overlooked here.

The problem is that the info Kelly is giving on the ASMBS guidelines isn't outdated and "dangerous".  No matter how many times Chili says that it IS outdated, it doesn't make it so.  The 2013 guidelines still call for 2 multi's per day, 1500 calcium, extra D, etc..

So until Chili can post something newer that shows that there is something dangerous about the current ASMBS guidelines, she is just "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"... and hurting her own credibility.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Chilipepper
on 9/23/14 10:01 am

Get off your soapbox. You did the same thing for years. Be wary of the Wls experts and vitamin gurus who stalk these boards. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/23/14 10:27 am - OH

I did what for years?  Point people to the ASMBS recommendation when their nutritionist and surgeon weren't giving them any info? Yep, guilty as charged.

I'm not on any soapbox.  I just want you to provide actual INFORMATION that goes against the ASMBS 2008 and 2013 guidelines, and you haven't.  

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 9/23/14 10:51 pm - OH

But the info I quoted isn't outdated.  I really don't believe that taking the amount of calcium citrate recommended by the ASMBS is going to put calcium into joints, arteries and organs.  But if you've seen studies that show it does, please post a link to them.  I'd like to read them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/24/14 4:59 am

I don't  have them handy. If you have time on your hands - perhaps you can look for that? To make sure even for your own sake that you don't take too much. Specially if you also consume food ri*****alcium like milk, cheese and yoghurt.  Make sure you don't cause more harm than good. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 9/24/14 5:11 am - OH

It's my understanding that we will not absorb much calcium from food since we have so little stomach acid.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.