vitamins

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/24/14 5:02 am

http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c3691

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 9/24/14 5:10 am - OH

Thanks.  I've seen that study.  I do not believe it applies to RNY patients since it was done on people that had not had WLS.  Also, as far as I can tell, the researchers did not control for the type of calcium supplement people took.  So we don't know if it was carbonate, phosphate, citrate, or what.  And I think there is reason to believe that the type of supplement matters, since we know, for instance, that calcium carbonate can contribute to kidney stones but calcium citrate does not and in fact helps prevent them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/23/14 6:46 am - OH

In fairness to Kelly, how in the world is she supposed to know of information updates that are "in progress" and not yet published (that you apparently have access to a draft of...?)?  The guidelines may yet get revised (or corrected  if there is an error in the draft) before they get published...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 9/23/14 9:12 am - OH

Yeah, my psychic skills are not quite up to knowing not yet published guidelines.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 9/23/14 9:14 am - OH

I am giving the latest published guidelines.  If new guidelines are to be issued in November 2014, well, I am not psychic and cannot tell you about guidelines that are not yet published.

You are free to take whatever vitamins you want.

I am free to suggest that other vitamins better meet our needs.

Chilipepper
on 9/23/14 9:32 am

You should not be giving any vitamin guidelines out.  You are not a bariatric surgeon or a qualified nutritionist. If people want to take the misinformation you are passing out that is thier choice but I have already proven you wrong several times in this thread and all you have is a wise crack in response. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

poet_kelly
on 9/23/14 9:37 am - OH

You haven't proven me wrong.  You said the guidelines that will be published in November - but you haven't proven that.

You are not a bariatric surgeon or nutritionist either.  And the advice you are giving out, in my opinion, is likely to cause people to have nutritional deficiencies. 

But we are both free to say what we believe and people are free to make their own choices.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/23/14 9:58 am - OH

You haven't proven anything wrong!!  All you have done is repeatedly said that Kelly is wrong and providing outdated and dangerous information. You don't prove the sky is orange just by saying it more times than so done else says it is blue (or, technically, that it is everything BUT blue) 

I am 100% open to new information, and am sure that Kelly would be, too, but you haven't provided any.  What part of that don't you understand?

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 9/23/14 10:29 am - OH

I've asked and asked for a link to any more recent guidelines than those published in 2013 but she has not provided one.

nayttap
on 9/23/14 6:25 am