question for those that don't tell people about having WLS

(deactivated member)
on 10/3/14 3:01 am, edited 10/3/14 3:01 am

MrsPetty You hit the nail on the head for me as well!! I have handled my journey the same way so far. 

KateinBaltimore
on 10/3/14 12:07 am

While I agree the it should be left up to an individual's preference to disclose medical information, I do believe that sharing our weight loss surgery stories help to de-stigmatize the surgery itself.  I believe there is a real bias against people who are overweight.  It's the same story - we were lazy, over-indulgent, etc.  While that may be true for some people, only an individual and their doctors truly know the many causes of their obesity (which vary for every overweight person).  By telling people that we've had weight loss surgery, we can help to normalize and promote the surgery for those who need and want it.  In addition, we can help promote the idea that losing weight for an obese person is a truly difficult endeavor.  I believe that the more weight loss surgery is accepted as a respectable way to lose weight, the less overweight people will be told to just buckle down and control themselves.   

"Facing it, always facing it, that’s the way to get through. Face it." Conrad

MsBatt
on 10/5/14 1:58 am
On October 3, 2014 at 7:07 AM Pacific Time, KateinBaltimore wrote:

While I agree the it should be left up to an individual's preference to disclose medical information, I do believe that sharing our weight loss surgery stories help to de-stigmatize the surgery itself.  I believe there is a real bias against people who are overweight.  It's the same story - we were lazy, over-indulgent, etc.  While that may be true for some people, only an individual and their doctors truly know the many causes of their obesity (which vary for every overweight person).  By telling people that we've had weight loss surgery, we can help to normalize and promote the surgery for those who need and want it.  In addition, we can help promote the idea that losing weight for an obese person is a truly difficult endeavor.  I believe that the more weight loss surgery is accepted as a respectable way to lose weight, the less overweight people will be told to just buckle down and control themselves.   

YES!!!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/5/14 2:15 am - OH

Absolutely!  The more people know about WLS, the less likely they will be to immediately respond with an accusation that it is "the easy way out", etc..  Yes, it is easier than losing weight without surgery, but it is not easy, and people need to be open about the process -- the ups and downs, the advantages and the disadvantages -- in order to enable the general public to understand what is really involved and that it isn't just a matter of having some magic surgery and being able to eat whatever you want whenever you want without worrying about your weight.  

Unfortunately, that is how some people I know view WLS.  I have had several people in the past couple of years ask me why I "still" don't eat certain foods, and they honestly did not understand that the surgery doesn't magically enable me to eat anything and everything!  They really thought I was just not eatin much and only eating certain foods for a year or so after surgery while things healed and that eventually I would eat more like they do again (and like I used to).

Lor

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

White Dove
on 10/3/14 12:08 am - Warren, OH

I just say I had gastric bypass surgery and it was the easy way out for me.  I tried all of the other ways and they did not work.  My RNY has made it easy to lose weight and to maintain the loss.  I do tell people that the surgery will only work if they follow the diet and exercise and that the weight will come back if they go back to their old ways.

Because everyone knows about my surgery, I have plenty of food police in my life and it does keep me on the straight and narrow.  If I kept this to myself it would be easier to just relax and gain back weight.  I know a lot of people who kept their surgery secret and gained back their weight.  Being out of the closet has it advantages.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

mdaggett
on 10/3/14 12:56 am
RNY on 11/19/14

I like that!  And I agree 100%

HFA70
on 10/3/14 12:28 am

I don't keep it a secret and I'm not embarrassed by it.  If I had lost weight on a weight loss program, I would say so.  I have no one judge or insult me, at least not to my face.

I'm proud of my decision and, if asked, tell people the truth.

mdaggett
on 10/3/14 12:48 am
RNY on 11/19/14

Personally I am  not broadcasting it but if asked I would tell the truth because I am not defined by what others think.  Everyone has their own opinion and that opinion has nothing to with me but more about them.  Everyone in my office knows because I am going to have to be out but everyone has kept their opinions to themselves.  Probably because if they didn't I would tell them to bite me LOL....

Tereasa R.
on 10/3/14 1:08 am - Houston, TX
RNY on 05/29/14

I want people to know about WLS because it's been a life saver for me and a wonderful tool! I'm very open about it especially to others that are obese and are having a hard time losing weight. I really don't care what people think or how they feel about MY decision to do the WLS.

And I agree, it is very misleading when people give half answers. I know that for some, just a lifestyle change does work, but for some, it doesn't and I wouldn't want to give a half answer and discourage that person that "just a change" doesn't work for. That has happened to me MANY times.

Tereasa R.  5' 2" - HW: 269 / SW: 267 / CW: 184 / GW: 140

selhard
on 10/3/14 1:15 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

It's easier to be open and honest when you sense the question comes from someone seeking knowledge/advice.  Paying it forward to those seeking help keeps me more focused.